Thursday, June 2, 2011

My Mom’s Secret Spaghetti Sauce

Written by Rachael Coe
(recipe by Lorraine Williams)

As children, our favorite food was my mom's spaghetti dinner.  It was the best ever and now that many of us have our own families we have begun carrying on the spaghetti memories with this "secret" recipe.  I always use my crock pot for this recipe because the longer you let this sauce simmer - the better it tastes! It is a fast and easy start in the morning and will be ready when you get home at night.



Ingredients:

1 pound Hamburger Meat

4 Cans of Spaghetti Sauce (I love the Chunky Vegetable but you can use any kind)

1 Can of Diced Tomatoes (these can be your favorite kinds or your specially canned ones)

1 tsp Basil

1 tsp Dill Weed

1 tsp Cilantro

2 tsp Garlic Powder

1/3 cup of brown sugar or grated zucchini (this takes out the tartness of the sauce and makes it
sweet)

Directions:


Brown your hamburger meat and drain the fat.




Add your spaghetti sauce.


Add your seasonings (you can always feel free to add more than the recipe. I always do :-))


Add your brown sugar or zucchini. (I prefer grated zucchini because of the added nutrients but if I don't have it on hand - I add brown sugar.)


Blend it all together and simmer in your crock pot for 4 - 6 hours on high or 8 - 10 hours on low. While it is not a secret anymore, this yummy sauce is now a hit with my children and will continue to be a favorite for years to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds so yummy! I will try adding these "secret" ingredients next time I make spaghetti sauce. ~Lynette